Sunday, October 23, 2011

Citra Cream Ale

I've been brewing alot of darker beers and wanted to brew something up light, refreshing and something that would help convert BMC drinkers. A cream ale is what was needed! A  packet of Citra hops had been sitting in my fridge for awhile and it seemed the right time to use it. I would be able to use only Citra since a cream ale doesn't need high IBU's, which would let me taste what exactly Citra brings to the party. I followed Jamil's Cream recipe with a little modification, I used 2 pounds of Maris Otter and a pound of 6 Row.

Specifics 
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Anticipated SRM: 4.7
Anticipated IBU: 18.9
Wort Boil Time: 60
Original Gravity:  1.045

Grain
4 lbs Extra Light DME
1 lb Table Sugar
1 lb American 6 Row
2 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Flaked Maize

Hops
.5 oz Citra (13%) @ 60 min
.25 oz Citra (13%) @ 5 min

 Yeast
Safbrew US-05

1 comment:

  1. how did your citra cream ale end up? i split mine into 3- 2 gall batches and is currently still in secondary, I added berries to one and rhubarb to another leaving one as a plain citra cream ale i ended up putting a tiny amount of aromatic and it went to about 4 or 5 SRM

    ReplyDelete