Saturday, October 1, 2011

Applewood Smoked Porter

I decided to do another dark beer but wasn't sure what I wanted to do. A porter sounded good and I had recently purchased some Applewood Smoked Grains and I decided to do a smoked porter. Just chewing on the grains it was a nice smooth sweet smokey flavor that should work well with the roasty flavors in the beer. The main issue I had was trying to figure out how much smoked grain to use, not wanting it to be overbearing but still wanting it to be noticeable. It came out to 27.6 percent of the whole grain bill.



Specifics 
Batch Size: 3 gallons
Anticipated SRM: 30.5
Anticipated IBU: 34.2
Wort Boil Time: 60
Original Gravity:  1.046

Grain
3 lbs Amber DME
3.2 oz Special Roast
3.2 oz Biscuit Malt
3.2 Special B Malt
5 oz Chocolate Malt
1.5 lbs Applewood Smoked Malt

Hops
1 oz Cluster (7%) @ 60 min

Yeast
Safale US-05 (Slurry repitched from a previous beer)

No comments:

Post a Comment