Saturday, July 2, 2011

Brandon O's Graff (For the most part)

 Every attempt I've made at straight cider using juice, sugar and yeast came out thin and dry. Not at all like commercial sweet ciders. This is supposed to be sweet and have body like Strongbow or Woodchuck. Perfect for my significant other and other friends who don't care for beer.
I brewed up a 5 gallon batch following Brandon O's recipe as stated here. The only difference is I used 1.25 Oz of torrified wheat and just amber DME as it was all I had on hand. I used Crystal 120L as suggested in the recipe as I used cheaper juice. Cascade hops were selected as they seemed to go well with cider flavors.

I kept some of the yeast cake from my Honey Pilsner Ale and repitched it into this. The yeast is Safale US-05. After 12 hours the airlock would bubble every 5 seconds or so. Upon pitching the yeast the final gravity of the wort was 1.062. The only thing I am worried about is its currently fermenting at around 70 degrees. I really need to figure out a way to control fermentation temperatures, I'd prefer lower temperatures so no off flavors develop. I have high hopes for this cider.

3 comments:

  1. Nice. I've made a couple batches of Graff myself, one normal and one spiced holiday version. I also started with Brandon O's recipe.
    http://ahomebrewlog.blogspot.com/2010/03/graff.html

    http://ahomebrewlog.blogspot.com/2010/12/holiday-spiced-graff.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've very impressed with how well this turned out. I'm looking through your blog right now. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. Decided to Cider, Ha!
    6 gallons apple juice (as base malt, for lack of a better word). Chocolate malt 1 lb., 1 lb. Caramel Malt blend to 30 L., Simpsons Golden Naked Oats 1/2 lb. Windsor Yeast for low attenuation. Let's see if we can make a Porter, cider style. 1/2 to 1 tsp. Calcium Carbonate to fight the acid of course. All my ciders are so gosh darn tart. Hate that! What else can I do about sweet tart flavor?

    ReplyDelete