Thursday, June 23, 2011

Honey Pilsner into Secondary

Normally I don't rack beer into a secondary but I'd rather use my 5 gallon brewing bucket for primary than a carboy, and I plan on brewing a Kolsch in the next week.I also wanted to try gelatin finings on this batch to see how it did with clearing beer. I warmed a tablespoon of finings up in near boiling water and mixed it with the wort as it went into the carboy.
The wort smelled really good as it was being transferred. Malty with a citrus peachy on top of that, some of that coming from hops and I think some from the Safale US-05. From what I've read it can sometimes add a peachy aroma.  I saved some of the yeast cake and stored that away for later. Over all I'm excited about getting this into bottle and will bottle it as soon as its cleared up, which will hopefully only take a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment