Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Waxing Bottle Tops

I bottled the peach mead that had been sitting in a carboy in my closet for 6 months now. I decided to add an extra flare and dip the top of these bottles in wax. After researching the topic I found there was two different ways to do it. Either premade wax balls you can buy in hobby stores or mixing your own using crayons and hot glue gun gluesticks. This thread was very helpful.   The ratios he stated gave me a basic guideline to go off but I found some experimentation was necessary, I think partly because I used the cheapest crayons available to me. I attempted to use a double boiler to melt the wax/glue but it was too slow and wasn't really working. I ended finding the easiest method was to heat the oven.
Once liquid the process is very straight forward. Dip the bottle and slowly rotate it while the wax cools.  I am very happy with how the bottles turned out, the only worry I have is that the wax will not be too brittle.

No comments:

Post a Comment